It’s 2014. It’s a whole different year than it was last year. I can’t be the only one that is baffled by that idea. Like, It was one day, where I went to work like any other day, and one night that I wish I remembered more of, and then, poof. It’s next year. While my friend was driving me home from the party the next day, enjoying a nice Wawa breakfast, We sat there and couldn’t believe that another year had passed. Then, of course, came the annual Google Zeitgeist video, and the 2013 Youtube Rewind, where I was reminded of such pop culture things, as that man jumping off a satellite, and The Royal Baby, and The Harlem Shake. I had completely forgotten that The Harlem Shake, and the Screaming Goats meme were actually in 2013.
This year has literally been a roller coaster for me. I worked my ass off to graduate cosmetology school, third in my class to graduate, only 41 hours late. Not only did I get my first real Salon Job, I was promoted within the first five months from Assistant to full time receptionist. In June, right before I graduated, I styled my first photoshoot, and was told that I had the best looking portfolio that my school director had ever seen. My cos school had this tradition of letting graduating students choose the color or theme for a dress down day on the day they graduate, and since my day was taken, I chose to do my Disney theme that saturday, to include the night students as well. That day, two girls, one that I was friends with, and one that I had spoken to all of twice, donned their prom dresses and dressed up as princesses for me. I gave up my own plans to attend the IMATS NY event for my 21st birthday, to attend my Nephew’s 2nd birthday, and I am incredibly happy that I did. I This summer I attended my first country concerts, and got drunk at my first tailgate. I was two feet away from Taylor Swift’s Mom for at least 10 minutes, and was too scared to tell her about my Taylor Swift tattoo. Now the only two regrets that I have involve Taylor Swift. I went to the beach more times this year than I had in the past two. I got two tattoos this year, one my most meaningful, and one my most white-girl. I decided that I deserved better, and left my first real salon job after 8 months on very good terms. I went to my first University homecoming, living the college experience in what would have been my senior year. I kept the best job of my life for another whole year, and hit my two year anniversary as, not only a party coordinator, but as my owner tells people, “The girl who does everything.” I went on an amazing family vacation to Florida, and got to see my Dream Job, The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. I got to watch my nephew, Isaac, enjoy not one, nut two awesome Christmas celebrations. Not only did I meet my favorite youtuber, but I now call her a friend, and sometimes a grand-daughter. I discovered Mod Sun, and the power of Positivity. After such an amazing year, Nothing could keep me from ending this year on the happiest note. Then I totaled my car. I had an amazing night at an indoor trampoline park, and coming out of the parking lot, I was in an accident. With the exception of a lot of bumps, bruises, and a really cool scar on my forehead, I walked away in perfect condition. I said goodbye to a car that had been mine for two and a half years, and started a journey of saving money to get a new one. This year has been the tallest roller coaster, with WAY more ups than downs. I very much so hate that 2014 is even better.
Wait, did I read AT ALL in 2013? Yeah, some. But the first 6 months of the year, I was in school 40 hours a week, and worked two jobs on top of that. I read quite a few books, but I have no idea what they were. I know I read the entire Hunger Games trilogy again, I listened to the Divergent Audiobook, I read Entwined by Heather Dixon, and Perks. I know I read Matched by Allie Condie, but I can’t remember if that was in 2013 or 2012. I know that this year I’m going to keep track.
Lets talk about some goals. (These are not specific reading goals, that’s a different post)
– My ultimate goal is to make 2014 my year. I want this year to be “the year of Kelsey.” The year that I make life happen.
– I will spend less money, and save more. I’ve already started this, and I’ve learned that if I’m motivated, It’s not that hard. I want to spend less money on frivolous things, and more on things that I really want.
– I want to learn how to cook, and to eat out WAY less. This is literally the hardest thing because I suck at cooking, and my job is literally surrounded by like 15 restaurants. I promise that I’m gonna try.
– I want to drink bore tea. I stopped drinking Diet Coke before I left for Vacation, and I don’t want to ever drink it again. I want to drink more different kinds of teas.
– I need to work full time, even if thats with more than one job, but I also need to make more time. I want more “me time,” but I need to find a balance with working.
– I want to make more time to run this blog. Also more time to read.
– I want to make more quality Youtube videos, and build my audience more. I want my videos to reach more people, so that maybe one day, I can be like so many other youtubers, and turn my love for making videos into a job.
– This is so frivolous, but I really want to redecorate my room at home. I know that realistically I won’t be able to afford to move out any time soon, so I would like to make my space at my parents house a little more reflective of myself, and a little more practical, especially for bringing makeup clients in.
– I really need to build my cosmo portfolio more. I need to be doing more hair and makeup on more people, and remembering to get photos and show my skills to more people.
– I want to do more Photography. I fell in love with Photography a few years back, and when I started cosmetology school I sort of fell off the wagon with it. I want to work more on improving my Photography, and editing skills.
– I want to dance more. I danced for 17 years, I miss it more than anything. Hopefully in the next few years I can become a dance teacher.
Can we talk lessons for a second? What did 2013 teach me?
2013 taught me that no matter how hard you try to please people, and to make everyone else happy, it’s not the same if you aren’t happy. I have spent so long doing everything for everyone else, and putting myself on the back burner. This year I learned that if I am not truly happy, then I can’t make others happy.
2013 taught me that it’s ok to be a little selfish. I am not a horrible person for wanting to put myself first.
2013 taught me to not force myself to put so much effort into friendships with people who just don’t care.
2013 taught me that if I want something, I need to go for it. Also, law of attraction. Enough said.
2013 taught me that if you focus on the positive, the negative will eventually fade away. Thanks Mod Sun.
2013 taught me that nothing is permanent. Your life can change in a second.
2013 taught me that I am the most lucky person in the world. Not only am I blessed with a great family, an awesome set of friends, and the best job ever, But I was incredibly lucky in that car accident. If the other car had been on my drivers side, I would have lost my life, not just my car.
This has been the longs post of anything that I have ever written. I will be posting my 2014 book goals in the next few days, as soon as I work through them, and figure out exactly what they are. Thank you so much for reading this whole post. Comment down below some of your goals for this year, or some important lessons that 2013 taught you.